Skip to content
June 11, 2012 / angelavbolton

HSE and UK placement ~ June 2012 Update

Bob writing postcards (just the bit at the end ~ I write them really), Ibiza (Old Town, 2008 or 2009)

18th June 2012 ~ Got a letter from the HSE saying they need the following from Robert’s consultant neurologist:

  1. A copy of Robert’s referral to the NRH for the required treatment
  2. A copy of the the NRH acknowledgement of the hospital’s referral confirming Robert’s place on the waiting list for the required treatment and the expected duration of the waiting time; and
  3. Exact details of how and the extent to which the condition of the patient will deteriorate due to the wait beyond what can be expected to be achieved by a more timely intervention.

This last detail is simply unquantifiable in a case of acquired brain injury as far as I’m aware ~ but I’d love to be proved wrong.

Two weeks have gone by since the HSE heard from Robert’s consultant on the 31st of May with the appeal support ~ that’s two weeks wasted on the appeal process.

—oOo—

12th June 2012 ~ Just heard that Dr Morgan and Dr Hutchinson wrote a joint letter to the HSE at the beginning of June in support of our appeal. I have a call in to the HSE to ensure they received it (as at 14th June haven’t heard back from them) but that’s how it stands right now.

—oOo—

11th June, 2012 ~ We are waiting for the HSE to contact Dr Morgan in the NRH ~ according to Dr Hutchinson and Dr Morgan that’s the procedure: the HSE have to request her input on our appeal to get Robert to the UK. We know that Dr Hutchinson has written to the HSE telling them that Dr Morgan is willing to provide this clinical support, but I don’t know if either Dr Morgan or the HSE will let me know when this has been done.

It’s a little nerve-wracking to say the least: I’m reluctant to phone Dr Morgan to see if she’s heard from the HSE but I feel that time is of the essence. It’s doubtful that the HSE see the urgency of this situation as I do: I feel very strongly that the sooner Robert gets expert input and assessment the better off he’ll be in the long term. It’s hard to sit on my hands and do nothing to forward that goal.

As Robert’s wife and primary advocate, it’s hard to be out of the loop and helpless. My instinct is to provoke action in any quarter, not sit around waiting. The stress is pretty awful.

Advertisements

3 Comments

Leave a Comment
  1. angelavbolton / Jun 18 2012 9:17 pm

    Reblogged this on robertboltondotorg.

    • angelavbolton / Jun 19 2012 7:43 am

      Thanks Stephanie. We need every prayer we can get.

  2. Stephanie Green / Jun 19 2012 12:52 am

    Although I really have no way of understanding the extreme amount of frustration and stress you are enduring, please know I am praying for you, Bob and all the medical staff involved in the unimaginable situation.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: